Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The world's favourite airline?

Flying isn't my favourite way of spending time. I hate take-off and landing as the change in pressure badly affects my ears, particularly in the smaller aeroplanes. And would anyone choose to spend time in a cold, dry, noisy metal tube for pleasure? Even if they do show you Wedding Crashers or obscure Arabic-language films en route. I have been travelling frequently over the past couple of months with British Airways - due to my trips to Egypt (another one coming up next week). The flight is long enough for them to serve food and show films: I should also thank whoever plans the entertainment channels for introducing me to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

However, they herd you into the aircraft, and make you file past the First Class (except they don't call it that any more) seats which look so comfortable, being fully reclining and with loads of leg room, taunting you with what you aren't getting. And then you see the full horror of what you'll really be spending four hours sitting in: Economy Class (except that's now been rebranded - I'm a World Traveller, don't you know). This is sadism of no uncommon order. If they let you come in the back way there would be none of this seat envy, and I could endure the flight with more equanimity.

At least I'm not flying any further afield: four hours I can cope with, but any longer and I think I'd be succumbing to air rage.

2 Comments:

At Wed Mar 22, 02:10:00 pm, Blogger Dave said...

Yes, four and abit (to Jordan) was quite enough for me; I really enjoyed the 2 hour flight to Tunisia last October - it took less time than the drive to the airport.

 
At Wed Mar 22, 06:22:00 pm, Blogger Tamburlaine said...

I've always felt a lot of sympathy for Dennis Bergkamp, who never flies anywhere, though he seems to be the subject of much scorn for his fear of flying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home