Monday, April 03, 2006

I'm no mug

I went shopping in London on Saturday. On Oxford Street. More fool I, you'll say. I did end up spending more money than I had anticipated, but got some nice things as a result. I'll pass over the garments - well, because clothes are clothes, really, and I'm not going to post about boots or jackets here. What I will post about are Swallows and Amazons mugs.



I bought mine in Borders (according to S, no other bookstore chain in London sells them - which she should know, because she's a publisher's rep, and visits many, many bookshops in our fine capital city). Okay, so it was pricey, for a mug, at £8.95. But just look at it! The design comes from the original Jonathan Cape published editions, and includes pictures from the book itself (which is probably my favourite by Ransome). Art Meets Matter only do four designs, including the one I have - Pigeon Post (in yellow), Swallows and Amazons (in green) and We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea (in blue). Perhaps it's a good thing they don't do all twelve titles, or I'd be tempted to collect them all, and I really have enough mugs.

3 Comments:

At Mon Apr 03, 06:26:00 pm, Blogger Dave said...

I was in Ottakars in Norwich on Wednesday, and was tempted by the Penguin mugs is saw there (in particular P G Wodehouse). I resisted temptation - I am running out of space for all my mugs as it is.

As a child I had all 12, with those covers - and my mother gave them all away to a young cousin.

 
At Mon Apr 03, 06:27:00 pm, Blogger Dave said...

Sorry, I meant the books, not the mugs, obviously.

 
At Tue Apr 04, 06:32:00 pm, Blogger Tamburlaine said...

Does your young cousin still have the books? I hope he knows how lucky he is, in that case (apologies if your cousin is a girl).

I love the illustrations - which is odd, because Ransome was terrible at drawing faces: this is why one always sees the characters side-on or from the back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home