Wednesday, March 29, 2006

To sleep, perchance to dream...


I bought my futon in 1996, when I was living in a shared house in Guildford. The bed that was provided with the room was as soggy as a sponge, so a friend took me to IKEA (I think for the very first time!), where I bought a single futon plus wooden base. The mattress soon went thin, so I bought another and used both. Apart from a year or so in a flat in Preston, I've been sleeping on it ever since. I had found it pretty comfortable, but lately was very conscious of my hip-bone digging into the underlying base, so I gave in, and bought a new bed.

The new bed is a double, and takes up almost a quarter of the room (I still live in a shared house, by the way). Probably if I didn't have so many books it wouldn't be quite such a problem (and that's the subject for another post, I'm sure). Still, if I keep the room tidy, it should appear cosy rather than cramped.

I snuggle up beneath my new down duvet (I recommend goose down - it might be pricey, but it's so light and warm that I think it's worth the extra) and fall asleep in five minutes. Oh, the bed is so comfortable! I wonder how I managed to put up with my futon (now honourably retired) for so long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home