Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Singing in the heat


I haven't posted anything during July, as I've been away from the office for most of the month. I've been working offshore, but nowhere exotic (off the coast of Norfolk). The photo to the left is honestly of the North Sea, taken from the drilling barge. That's the Norfolk coastline in the background.

It's nice to be back again, sleeping in one's own bed and drinking one's own tea... Thanks to Dave for the enquiry as to my well-being! I am very well, thanks.

It's not all been 12-hour shifts and getting up at 4:30 am, though: I've spent the past week singing at Wells Cathedral with Lyra Davidica (click on the link to the right for the website, hopefully soon to be updated). We sang eight services: Evensong every evening except Wednesday, and Eucharist and Matins on Sunday. As we only get together once a year, it's a tribute to Christine that she manages to make us sound like a choir so quickly!

The music list (for anyone interested) was as follows:

Monday (Evensong):
Responses: Rose
Canticles: Murrill in E
Anthem: And I Saw A New Heaven - Bainton

Tuesday (Evensong):
Introit: View me, Lord - Moles
Responses: Byrd
Canticles: Purcell in G minor
Anthem: Salvator mundi - Tallis

Thursday (Evensong):
Responses: Rose
Canticles: Howells St Paul's
Anthem: O nata lux - Lauridsen

Friday (Evensong):
Responses: Byrd
Canticles: Gibbons Short service
Anthem: O clap your hands - Gibbons

Saturday (Evensong):
Responses: Rose
Canticles: Stanford in A
Anthem: Let all the world in every corner sing - Leighton

Sunday (Eucharist):
Mass: Missa O quam gloriosum est regnum - Victoria
Motet: Ave verum corpus - Byrd

Sunday (Matins):
Responses: Rose
Canticles: Britten in C
Anthem: Hear my prayer - Purcell

Sunday (Evensong):
Responses: Rose
Canticles: Noble in B minor
Anthem: All wisdom cometh from the Lord - Moore

As I was part of the group which chose the music (and had lobbied hard for the Leighton), it was our fault that perhaps we had too much new music to learn, though it mostly sounded very good, particularly the unaccompanied pieces. We all had a great time - the cathedral is lovely, and the staff, clergy and virgers alike, were very hospitable (which isn't always the case, unfortunately). I'll include some photos in a later post, as I took a lot of pictures with my new camera, most of which I was very pleased with.

Broadband connection soon to be live at home, so I can post there and not at work. Hoorah!

2 Comments:

At Wed Aug 02, 02:59:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, credit to Christine to making the choir sound pretty damn fierce by Sunday Evening...trouble is we all go home then.

How I miss it you know...I should buy some Goose Grease as a reminder.

Particular mention must be made of the excellent Introit sung on Tuesday (and repeated in a recording in the Chapter House Friday) and the stonking organ improvisations in Euro-Christ on Sunday. The man behind them must be genius.

Come to think of it, that solo on Sunday afternoon wasn't too bad either...

...(modesty blaze anyone?)

 
At Mon Aug 07, 11:10:00 am, Blogger Dave said...

Glad to see you back - even though I'm now not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home